Do You Have The Courage?

Do You Have The Courage?
Do You Have The Courage?

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Corporate Culture = Profits

Developing loyalty among employees in companies large or small remains a fundamental component of success.  Building a corporate culture that fosters allegiance, nurtures creativity and rewards hard work tends to increases productivity and employee retention.  As a managerial tactic, my mantra is a simple one: shout praise but whisper criticism. 

I have found respect is reciprocal and the acknowledgement of one’s efforts is the cornerstone of cultivating loyalty.  Let’s face it…even the most confident among us seek to have our efforts recognized and rewarded. 




One area that is particularly key to building and maintaining a solid corporate culture is allowing employees the opportunity to share in the creative and/or policy-making process.  A healthy dialogue facilitating an innovative exchange of ideas serves to educate, empower and energize the team.  This is particularly effective in smaller businesses.  My personal rule of thumb can be simplified with this analogy: I have ten decisions awaiting a course of action. I engage my employees in these discussions.  Often, their inclusion promotes an eagerness to research and/or seek an enhanced expertise regarding the task at hand. 

Eight times out of ten times I will agree with these employee rendered decisions, a byproduct of which is encouragement and recognition.  Naturally, there are times when I cannot align myself with their solutions, mostly, because as a seasoned CEO my experience has exposed me to outcomes that have equipped me choose a better one. In either case, the exercise usually serves to produce positive results and happier employees.